Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Stranded


Sometimes, it takes being stranded, to help you get unstuck on a life rut.

Yesterday found me inside an fx, which is in the middle of a traffic jam. While outside, the rain battered the windows of cars and made a veritable flood of rain water in the streets. I stared out the windows, and the flood (which now looks more like a river) would likely keep us there for a while. When you're in the middle of the road and stuck in a flood of rain water, you notice a lot of things that you'd ordinarily let pass by. Like how the rain's beating down the windshield. The way how some people are out in the rain and can't get a ride, while I'm safe and warm inside the fx. How children are playing in the flood water and practically having a good time, unmindful of how many infinite number of bacteria they're soaking like a desert sponge on a drop of water. I continue to watch the children as they continue to frolic amidst the infectious soup of flood water. All of this, one notices when you don't have anything better to do.

I watch the rain as it continues its assault on our vehicle. And I remember my childhood, the innumerable times that I felt happy running around our lawn and soaking up the rain. How I would run outside when I hear rainfall and trip over myself while taking my clothes off. How me and my friends have a good time playing in the rain. Sometimes, when I look back on these things, I kinda wish that I could go back to being a child. When I was a child, things were much simpler. The only decision I had to make was which Flintstone vitamin character has more flavor and if I want to risk my existence and cross the line in Patintero. The only budgeting I did was on how many ice creams I could buy with ten pesos. And the only heartbreak I got was when Rio got trapped in a block of ice, for loving a mortal in a Maskman episode.

As I was stranded, and got nothing better to do, it got me to thinking about a different kind of stranded. Right now, my life is flowing like mosquito-infested stagnant water. Here I am, pushing twenty-two in a few weeks, and still I haven't got nothing to show for it. I'm about to retake my boards to prove to everyone that I didn't cheat on my first one, so I'm not earning for myself. And yeah, I still ask my mom for gimmick money. How pathetic is that? Right now, the decisions that I get to make will not only affect me, but other people's lives too. And the heartbreak that I must face is far more intense (and real), than a person turned to ice on a TV show.

I'm stranded. Because I don't know which road to turn to next. Because I'm still here, but I so desperately want to escape. Because he's moved on to have a new life with someone, while I haven't moved an inch ever since he left.

And I don't know which way to turn to.

But luckily, the driver does. And I was snapped out of my reverie as the cars started moving again. The rain has stopped pouring and was now reduced to a drizzle. The children continue to play amongst the flood, while some are being called home by their mothers. Commuters are now hastily trying to get a ride to their own homes. While our vehicle moved forward, inch by inch, through the flood, until we finally cleared it.

All of these, you notice when you're stranded.

No comments: